Friday, May 8, 2009

Early Baby

In a complete surprise, our third baby girl decided to make her debut early! Keira Rhys was born Tuesday, May 5, at 9:07 pm. She was 6 lbs, 9 oz and 19 inches long. I think it's pretty interesting that all our girls had their own timetable - Ava was on time, Norah was a week late, and Keira was a week early.

I was having mild contractions all day on Tuesday. I didn't think anything of them since I had exprienced false labor with Norah. So I just went about my day - even going out to get a baby memory book for Keira.

After we all had our afternoon nap, my contractions were a bit stronger, but I still gave them no thought. But something did tell me that I should get the girls' overnight bags together - they would be staying with my parents while I was in the hospital.

I began making dinner, and noticed that my contractions were even stronger - but still not painful. Mason wasn't home yet (which surprised me, since he's usually home by then). Around 6:30 though, I got my sign that I really was in true labor - the mucous plug! I called Mason, but he wasn't answering his cell phone (I knew then he must be on his way home, since he can't answer his phone on his motorcycle, LOL!). I then called my mom, and she promptly came over.

Mason came home around 7 pm. I told him he needed to eat fast because I was in labor! It was still a bit surreal to me, since my due date was a week away. Mason mentioned that the reason why he was late was he was getting things together to work from home for the next few days - he had a feeling the baby was coming very, very soon.

We got to the hospital around 7:40 pm. At 8 pm they checked me, and I was dilated to 6 cm, with my water still intact. I chose to leave it that way since it acts as a cushion. At 8:40 my contractions were noticable stronger and getting more painful - they checked me and I was at 8 cm! Then 10 minutes later my contractions were very strong, and I was at 9 1/2 cm. The nurse paged the on-call OB, who then broke my water. I began pushing a few minutes later. Keira was then born at 9:07 pm. I didn't have an epidural or any other pain meds.

So onto some pics!

This is right after birth

Mason in the nursery with Keira

The hat Mason picked out for Keira. He said the nurses didn't like it, LOL!


Holly said...

Congratulations! Another cute girl! So glad you didn't have to be induced!

Amy said...

what a fun story! That hat Keira is wearing is too funny.

Camilla said...

Congrats! I still can't believe your story, amazing.

Olivia said...

Congrats. I can't wait to see her in person. I'm glad all went well and that she surprised you with an early arrival. That's always nice. Hope your doing good.

heather said...

love the pics!!! i hope you all are doing well :) let me know if you need anything :)